You must have heard someone claiming that everyone is on social media these days, and you agreed with them, right? But what does it mean to be on social media?
People hardly get to the details of trying to define what social media is, but we can all agree that social media is a platform on the Internet where people get to interact with each other individually or in the form of a community, share information and/or images, and collaborate on whatever business they decide to engage in.
If you are in a group that does not have any of these features, then probably you are not on social media:
A user account: All social media platforms will require users to create accounts before sharing any information with others on the same platform. Usually, people give their names, emails, or phone numbers to complete this stage.
A profile page: A profile page is a page that other users on the same platform will see when interacting with you. This page contains a username, biological information, a photo, recent posts, and other personal information.
Followers/Friends: Depending on the platform you are on, the individual you are connected to can be referred to as hashtags, friends, followers, groups, and the like. You will always have the chance to connect with new people.
Homepage/news feed: This is a page where you find updates from other people on the platform, especially those who are your direct connections or those that belong to any of the groups or communities you are in.
Sharing button: This feature allows you to share information that you have created or that which you have come across online with your friends, followers, connections, groups etc., on that platform. Viral or trending content is that which has been shared by very many people on a particular platform.
- Facebook: Facebook is arguably the most popular social media platform the world over. Facebook has well over a billion unique monthly visits, it has millions of business profiles, and companies collectively spend hundreds of millions of dollars per year on advertising on Facebook.
- Twitter: Twitter is another giant social media platform that has over 300 million unique visitors every month. People share information over this platform via tweets.
- LinkedIn: LinkedIn is a social media platform for people interested in making business links, sharing business networks, and documenting trustworthy professionals. LinkedIn has over 250 million unique visits every month.
- Google+: as the name suggests, Google+ is Google’s social networking platform, and it has one of the highest unique monthly visits on this list. Google+ is very appealing, is well arranged, and is ideal for sharing images, videos, and even content.
- Pinterest: A bit different from other social media platforms, Pinterest focuses more on images. This website categorizes images that you find online, where clicking the image reveals more details about it. Pinterest has over 250 million unique visitors every month.
Social media is today’s technology that has brought like-minded people from different parts of the world together, it has promoted the growth of business, it has sharpened people’s creativity, and it has become the most popular entertainment channel.